4 URUDEN Al-Fadhli
HIGHLIGHTS
So-so performance by the Kuwaiti referee. Good in the medial picture. Okay decision-taker, somewhat lacking in soft skills (when not a beaming, admittedly a bit disarming, smile or a firm stare). His way of refereeing is, by use of advantage, to largely stay in the background. Not the biggest natural, to be honest.
He had quite a lot of interesting Key Match Incidents to deal with:
14' Potential SFP, potential VC (stamp)
To be honest it seems like an SFP to me, only a shinpad prevents sth nastier... I'll give the referee the benefit of the doubt, but certainly missed YC; stamp is accidental and no sanction should be issued
15' Potential SFP
We don't actually get a good replay of this one, but watching back the live sequence, it is a 100% SFP of the brutal variety. UNACCEPTABLE to (play advantage and) not even caution the offender.
CRUCIAL MISTAKE
42' Potential penalty (holding)
That's a really interesting scene. Though the defender does play the ball, I believe he only has the chance to do that having clearly held the attacker moments before. Some arguments to play on so not a crucial mistake, but I strongly favour a penalty (+ DOGSO:RC) being given there.
49' Potential penalty (holding)
No replays shown and even the players weren't really fussed about this one. They should have been - it's a clear penalty! Attacker wins the position before being felled by the defender who not only trips him but stupidly holds the attacker too. While the situation would have been largely inconspicuous at the time, I cannot find any arguments to support play on there.
CRUCIAL MISTAKE
51' Potential SFP
Unfortunately the live sequence is lost to a tape issue here, but I found it elsewhere. Very, very borderline incident. I think you can argue that the tackle was more of a "block" than a "stamp" so I would still support the referee's choice to issue a caution here.
60' Potential Second Yellow Card
Though the tackle is late, I would support the referee's choice to assess the tackle as just careless; in my view it is actually the preferable call.
His final mark should be 7,2 then.
One offside each for the ARs. Awni Hassouneh was excellently right with his, Dramane Danté mistaken (-0,1) in his.
So-so performance by the Kuwaiti referee. Good in the medial picture. Okay decision-taker, somewhat lacking in soft skills (when not a beaming, admittedly a bit disarming, smile or a firm stare). His way of refereeing is, by use of advantage, to largely stay in the background. Not the biggest natural, to be honest.
He had quite a lot of interesting Key Match Incidents to deal with:
14' Potential SFP, potential VC (stamp)
To be honest it seems like an SFP to me, only a shinpad prevents sth nastier... I'll give the referee the benefit of the doubt, but certainly missed YC; stamp is accidental and no sanction should be issued
15' Potential SFP
We don't actually get a good replay of this one, but watching back the live sequence, it is a 100% SFP of the brutal variety. UNACCEPTABLE to (play advantage and) not even caution the offender.
CRUCIAL MISTAKE
42' Potential penalty (holding)
That's a really interesting scene. Though the defender does play the ball, I believe he only has the chance to do that having clearly held the attacker moments before. Some arguments to play on so not a crucial mistake, but I strongly favour a penalty (+ DOGSO:RC) being given there.
49' Potential penalty (holding)
No replays shown and even the players weren't really fussed about this one. They should have been - it's a clear penalty! Attacker wins the position before being felled by the defender who not only trips him but stupidly holds the attacker too. While the situation would have been largely inconspicuous at the time, I cannot find any arguments to support play on there.
CRUCIAL MISTAKE
51' Potential SFP
Unfortunately the live sequence is lost to a tape issue here, but I found it elsewhere. Very, very borderline incident. I think you can argue that the tackle was more of a "block" than a "stamp" so I would still support the referee's choice to issue a caution here.
60' Potential Second Yellow Card
Though the tackle is late, I would support the referee's choice to assess the tackle as just careless; in my view it is actually the preferable call.
His final mark should be 7,2 then.
One offside each for the ARs. Awni Hassouneh was excellently right with his, Dramane Danté mistaken (-0,1) in his.
| Saad Kamil Al-Fadhli - 7,2 Awni Hassouneh - 8,4 Dramane Danté - 8,3 Byron Moreno (KUW, JOR, MLI) | Uruguay 1-2 Denmark Group Stage |
Laursen (51.) - Tackle |

He has a really good personality and is surely someone you do like on the pitch. Scene in 8' has wonderful management, big smile, clear gesture, player smiles back, apologizes. His deadly stare in 27' was troubling (YC would have been better though for such angry dissent). His warnings looked good as well. Certainly the kind of "nice guy" who the media would enjoy.
ReplyDeleteBut: His disciplinary was horrible. 14' is SFP without doubts, clear studs tackle to the shin. If one could argue he had a hard time perception-wise, one minute later he has no excuse. Even without replay, this tackle is brutal, advantage and later nothing is even worse than Aquino's DOGSO call - at least nobody got hurt in that situation.
Same for the non-RC stuff: 22' is no SPA despite central position and pass options? Despite the blatant shirt pulling? And 25' is despite the position at the edge of the field? Don't get me wrong, giving a YC in 25' would be ok. But not if you do not punish 22'. Some perception mistakes as well, the warning in 31' was good - except for the small detail that the foul was the other way around.
42' is indeed interesting, but since there was a clear holding on the shoulder, RC + penalty for me. 49' is harder to say without replay, I don't want to say it is a crucial mistake and another penalty without. 51' though is yet another SFP for me, studs swing above the knee with contact can't be anything else. Agree in 60', foul is not reckless or SPA, hate the FIFA warning, but a good choice. 76' was rather not even seen, but no VC despite of the Uruguayan player's theatrics.