8 ESPSVN Guezzaz

HIGHLIGHTS

Very good piece of officiating by the referee from Morocco. Guezzaz's technical accuracy was high, and he showed to be a good match reader too (good verbal warning for late, careless foul in the 1H).

Both in-box decisions, not to give a penalty to Slovenia at 84', and then to award Spain a penalty at 87', were simply excellent.

Caution given at +46' was arguably a case of Serious Foul Play, but a Yellow Card is (at least) supportable in my view.

Only points for improvement are smaller ones: tackle at 46' must result in a card, tackle at 64' (and 40'?) really ought to have resulted in a card, some small inconsistencies in foul detection, he should have punished dissenting Slovenia players with sanctions.

One offside each for the ARs: Ali Tomusange showed an eagle eye with his; Egon Bereuter's was pretty doubtful, but there is no conclusive evidence.

Overall certainly a good good performance by the match officials, well done.

Mohamed Guezzaz - 8,4
Ali Tomusange - 8,4
Egon Bereuter - 8,4
Coffi Codjia

(MAR, UGA, AUT)
Spain 3-1 Slovenia

Group Stage

Gelbe Karten
Valerón (36.) - Tackle 
Gelbe Karten
Karič (+46') - Tackle
Cimirotič (65.) - Simulation

Comments

  1. Good, but I wouldn't call it fully convincing performance by Guezzaz. He looked quite elegant, not focused on himself, with clear decisions and sophisticated communication (advantages). I agree with both penalty box decisions (no pk in 84', penalty in 87').

    However, disciplinary wasn't fully convincing in my eyes. 21' was in my eyes a reckless stamp by two players, one caution was a must. The rest of the bookings are not mandatory, but possible and in most cases, I would prefer them vehemently: 16' (SPA), 40'/46'/55'/64' (Reckless tackles) and 89' (Aggressive behaviour/Dissent). The dive was very well spotted, but the caution in 45'+1 was SFP for me - player is frustrated and can be seen "charging" even with intention. As for the PI - did you notice the player in question making fouls earlier? As far as I can see, Guezzaz is holding up two fingers - could that be for the two attempts the Spanish player made at tripping the opponent rather than a sum of fouls from earlier - and therefore it being LoR?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are spot on about the gesture made by Guezzaz that I mis-read, so I will change the matchsheet to read "(reckless) Tackle" :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts